help and guidance
BRC Global Standards have published a series of guidance documents that will help you understand specific areas of the BRC Global Standard
1. We’re a brokerage company. Can we be certificated against this BRC Global Standard even though we don’t have our own warehouse?
Unfortunately not. This is because the BRC Global Standard offers accredited certification within the requirements of ISO Guide 17065 for Product Certification. This is not allowed to be used where products are subject to the inspection. The activities carried out by brokers and agents are considered to be management systems certification. However, BRC Global Standards have recently published a Standard for Agents and Brokers, and you can find out about this here, or download a free copy of the BRC Global Standard
2. Although we primarily store and distribute products we do a small amount of packing of products. Does the BRC Global Standard apply to me?
If the repacking operation involves open food products then the answer is no. Where open food products are processed, including packing, then the BRC Global Standard for Food Safety should be used instead
3. What are the main differences between Issue 2 and Issue 3 of the BRC Global Standard?
The consultation and review of emerging food safety concerns since the development of Issue 3 identified a number of opportunities for further improvement. The key objectives identified for the working groups were to:
- Provide greater focus on security in terms of product, load and vehicles
- Introduce a grading system to provide a true reflection of the standards at the sites and to offer more opportunities for the best sites to differentiate themselves
- Include requirements to encourage wholesalers to reduce their exposure to food fraud
- Ensure that the requirements and audit process are focused on reducing the issues most frequently causing recalls and withdrawals
- Introduce a voluntary unannounced audit scheme to instill greater customer confidence
- Provide consistency with the other BRC Global Standards in the BRC range of BRC Global Standards