The Standard and the associated scheme is managed by the BRC and is governed through a number of committees (see diagram below), each of which works to a set of defined terms of reference.
International Advisory Board
The International Advisory Board (the IAB) is invited organisations that have an interest in the development, implementation and maintenance of the BRC Global Standards. The IAB are from major retailers and producers with global reach and reputation and have technical expertise in fields relevant to the BRC Global Standards. The IAB is headed by an independent Chairman with a global understanding of how Standards operate.
Terms of reference for members of the BRC International Advisory Board:
- To review and advise upon strategic issues relevant to the development of the BRC Global Standards with a view to protecting and enhancing their global reputation
- To advise on threats to, and opportunities for, the growth and development of the BRC Global Standards
- To review performance of all aspects of the BRC Global Standards, receive reports on internal compliance and advise on procedures to protect the integrity of the schemes
- To advise the BRC on technical resources required for the effective management of the BRC Global Standards
- To direct and review activities of the Technical Advisory Committees as appropriate
Technical Advisory Committees
The BRC Global Standard for Food Safety is supported by two Technical Advisory Committees (TAC) that meet regularly to discuss technical, operational and interpretational issues related to the Standard. These include the review of auditor competence requirements, proposed training materials, and supplementary documents supporting the Standard.
Each TAC includes senior technical mangers representing the users of the Standard and includes retailers, food manufacturers, trade associations, Certification Bodies and independent technical experts.
Certification Body Co-operation Groups
The BRC encourages meetings with Certification Bodies to answer any questions about the implementation of the Standard, operational issues or issues of interpretation. These groups report regularly to the BRC, and representatives from the co-operation groups also attend the TAC meetings.
Structural Diagram of the Technical Governance